photo twitter_bird_zpscad4abed.png  photo pinterest_zps60c2bd76.png  photo heart_zps2981f81f.png  photo tumblr_zpsa13bff91.png  photo facebook_zps273c635f.png  photo sound_cloud_zpsa872d86d.png

Wednesday 29 January 2014

Lady Chatterley's Lover

(Please vote on my poll, on the right - not available on mobile devices - thanks!)




I am a Classics girl, give me a book written by anyone from Jane Austen to Leo Tolstoy and I am yours. I will link below my last few book reviews, however this isn't a review, as I'm not finished. I am precisely just before half way and the book already deserves a mention. 

I was bought several classics books as part of my Christmas presents (easily pleased) but the one book I wanted Lady Chatterley's Lover (D.H.Lawrence) my parents had a tough criteria to follow, as I didn't want the book with the naked lady on the front, covering her lady parts, that was just a no no. Anyway, as it is a book about that all the covers are a bit controversé shall we say, The one I was purchased was the Penguin Classics version with a man doing up his belt. 

The book was published in 1928 and sold out in the first day, a few days later it was banned and I can see why. In those days it would have been 50 Shades of Grey, white, blue, pink, everything. I wasn't expecting Jane Austen romance but I was expecting it not to be that explicit. Don't get me wrong, its tasteful and written in a respectful manner, I think it is the contexts and the situations that are all a bit random and controversial. 

The story of Lord Chatterley is that he is injured in WWI and at this time is already married to Lady Chatterley, Lord Chatterley remains paralysed from the waist down for the rest of his life. Lady Chatterley, who had already had a very fruitful and abundant young adult life was dissatisfied, Lord Chatterley suggests she gets a lover, she declines and gets more and more lonely and the rest is up to you to read! (or me to tell you in a post when I have finished)

So far it has been quite timid, but I am not on page 126 and it has just started to get a bit steamy. 

I'll recreate a paragraph:


"She lay quite still, in a sort of sleep, in a sort of dream. Then she quivered as she felt his hand groping softly, yet with queer thwarted clumsiness, among her `clothing. Yet the hand knew, too, how to unclothe her where it wanted. He drew down the thin silk sheath, slowly, carefully, right down and over her feet. Then with a quiver of exquisite pleasure he touched the warm soft body, and touched her navel for a moment in a kiss. And he had to come in to her at once, to enter the peace on earth of her soft, quiescent body. It was the moment of pure peace for him, the entry into the body of the woman. She lay still, in a kind of sleep, always in a kind of sleep. The activity, the orgasm was his, all his; she could strive for herself no more. Even the tightness of his arms round her, even the intense movement of his body, and the springing of his seed in her, was a kind of sleep, from which she did not begin to rouse till he had finished and lay softly panting against her breast."

And there we have it. She then went back to her house, to Lord Chatterley, dined and slept... That is where I'm up to! - How that isn't interesting I don't know! I can see why it was banned in the 1930's it was very controversial for those days, almost still now. 


From the bookworm
RHS x

Links


No comments:

Post a Comment