photo twitter_bird_zpscad4abed.png  photo pinterest_zps60c2bd76.png  photo heart_zps2981f81f.png  photo tumblr_zpsa13bff91.png  photo facebook_zps273c635f.png  photo sound_cloud_zpsa872d86d.png

Friday 31 January 2014

Primary School

I'm in the S somewhere! 
Holbrook C of E Primary School, home of the great. 

It was the tiniest primary school in the area and it was the best place on earth. acc moi. 

I have been thinking a lot about primary school lately and all the little things that made me chuckle and when I thought that having the coolest snack for break time was basically the biggest issue of your life and in year three if it wasn't a Frube you may as well have gone and sat on the Betty no mates bench as you were not cool. 

So here are a few little memories that I'm sure a lot of people share too... 

The Spice Girls were big back in the 90's and I was always Scary Spice, because of my enormous afro hair (I always wanted to be Sporty Spice, but I just didn't fit the criteria)

There was always that one girl who braved the summer dress in March when her mum was convinced it was Summer and that the poor lamb would be too hot in trousers... 

Aparatus was THE best P.E. activity ever, those long wooden planks that you used to attach to a metal bar and walk up like you were a trapeze artist was the best. 

Having the sportiest boy on your rounders team was like having Suáez on your football team, no one could ever catch those balls and the Babe Ruth (no connotations to moi) walked round the posts like he was a Saint and everyone cheered and you got like a whole rounder for it. 

"Hands together and eyes closed" was the way you knew lunch was about to start. Being a C of E school we had to stand up and thank God for our parents, but mainly the food we were about to eat because by 12 we were eating each other's arms, or the sand pit, which ever was closest. 

Using that dome shaped robot in IT lessons was incredible (as we had like 1 computer in the whole school in year 2 it was all about those robots). Pressing its little buttons and watching it move around the room was insane and you'd bore your parents to death about it that night. 

Big holidays always meant making your parents a card or a present. I remember once taking my parents home a Christmas tree angel made out of a toilet paper tube, a doily and a straggly piece of yellow string, I insisted it go on the tree that Christmas, I never saw it again... 

Having to take the "pen test" before you were allowed a Bic in your life was like sitting your finals at Uni (I can imagine), I was stuck with my HB for quite a while, however I could count to 1000 by year 3. 

When Bull Dog was banned and everyone went on strike and wouldn't go to the playground at break time. My first "political" stand off. Not bad. 

Stuck in the mud replaced Bull Dog, that was definitely where I learned how to run - playing stuck  in the mud - ahh good times. 

You were the boss in year 6 when you got to sit on those apparatus benches during assembly - OR if you were selected to operate the OHP (Thats an overhead projector to anyone under the age of 15) and move the written out song lyrics. 

Hands down, thumbs up was a great game when you'd leant people's shoes, or who just sucked their fingers and you got touched by a slimy, deteriorating finger - ew. 

Ahhh the free milk we used to get aged five and a bit - the one that used to sit outside, in the winter it would be frozen and in the summer it would begin to curdle, potentially why I don't drink milk now, that put me off for life. 

Our school introduced giving our fruit for break time, which was always a bit manky, nevertheless, fruit goodness. However, there was always some silly baboon who dropped their apple and was told by the teachers to just go and wash it under the sink and eat it again - thinking back, that sounds vile. 

I used to fall over all the time when I was in reception/year 1, I was always coming home with scrapes and scabs on my knees and Savlon was literally called "the magic cream" as I'd be magically healed by the next day - That was the time I was convinced Jesus had come back as my Dinner lady - very interesting. 

When it was home time and you used to sing "footballs coming home, its coming home, its coming!" - just me? I was a football hooligan back then... 

Ringing the bell at the end of playtime was an incredible achievement and basically meant you were loved by the dinner lady and could at smug for the rest of the day.

You always knew it had been Christmas holidays when that kid came back with Bugs Life pencil case, rubber, pencils, crayons, sharpener (No one had a sharpener! or a red crayon for that matter...)

Ok I could literally go on all night... But I already fear this post is very very long. 

What good memories!
I'll be thinking of more all night!

RHS x


No comments:

Post a Comment